Resources for PhDs Seeking Work Outside Academia
You’ve Done the Hard Work of Earning Your PhD, Now you Need to Monetize those Efforts …
If you’ve got a PhD but haven’t lined up a suitable career then you’ve come to the right place. There are many Career Coaches out there but not many can relate to being an underemployed overachiever – but I can. I too have a PhD in something esoteric — Industrial and Organizational (I/O) Psychology (also known as Work or Business Psychology). More importantly, I have almost 20 years of hard-earned professional experience as a Career and HR Psychologist with extensive experience in assessment, counselling, and HR matters.
- Over 6,000 people graduate with PhD degrees in Canada each year. But only 20% become tenured professors. The other 80% of PhDs in Canada work outside academia.
- Many PhDs are not well-prepared for life outside academia, most of their professors groom PhD students for work as academics. After spending so much time on campus and interacting with other academics, PhDs don’t always know how to explain their unique skills and knowledge in a way that people outside universities can understand.
- There’s also the issue of underemployment. Most PhDs would say that a $50,000 annual salary is low when you’re in your early 30s with years of education, but, according to the Conference Board of Canada, this is a common situation.
You’ve already demonstrated that you’re a Thought Leader in your domain. Is it time to raise your leadership game to make you more effective? Have you shown that you’re a great individual contributor? Are you now ready to become a better leader so that you can scale your impact and influence? Consider Leadership/Executive Coaching as the next step in your professional development.